This week we took a slight detour to explore the question: Whose idea was Solomon’s Temple?! This is the first of two class times we spent digging into the question about whether or not the LORD commanded David and/or Solomon to build the Temple in Jerusalem. We are looking into the possibility that God (1) had no desire of a Temple and (2) permitted it to be built even though it was not part of His perfect plan.
Click to read this week’s passages in KJV, CSB, ESV, NIV:
Acts 7:45-50 ~ A House of Cedar (part one)
Tabernacle vs. Temple; Tent vs. House of Cedar
* Recorded: LIVE. This audio has been edited for class member privacy, time, and content.
There was no PowerPoint this week.
Here are some articles that will be helpful in exploring the position that the Temple was not God’s perfect will:
- “David’s Magnificent Temple Built in the Flesh” by Shawn Nelson (PDF)
- “A Temple Made by Human Hands” by Lynette Woods
- “The Tragedy of the Temple” by John H. Patterson
- “Did God Really Want a Temple” by Joshua S. Hopping
* Please note: Links to these articles do not equate to endorsement of the author’s theology or point of view. These links are provided as supplemental resources and should be read in conjunction with published commentaries on Acts.