❤️ I. Love. This. Book. ❤️
Whispers of Rest: 40 Days of God’s Love to Revitalize Your Soul by Bonnie Gray provides everything you need for enriching, in-depth, daily—but never dreary—quality time with the Lord. It is beautifully written and immediately draws you into a quiet space where they are beckoned to come and rest in Him.
When Jesus calls us into deeper intimacy, he says, ‘Don’t be afraid. I will do it with you.’ Jesus calls us to leave behind our ‘nets’ of competence and instead experience being the Beloved—with him. Will you say yes to this new journey?”
40 Days to Revitalize Your Spiritual Life
The book is organized as a 40-day experience during which you will read Scripture, reflect, practice a variety of spiritual disciplines, journal, and reduce stress by taking simple soul care actions.
Using this guidebook, you will experience greater peace and discover who God truly made you to be—His Beloved. You will hear God’s voice in new ways, experience His love intimately, and revitalize your soul using simple tools of soul care to refresh your body and spirit.” (Introduction, p. xv)
Whispers of Rest is divided up into six sections designed to help the reader to more clearly understand and experience what it means to be God’s Beloved:
- Being the Beloved
- Choosing as the Beloved
- Dreaming as the Beloved
- Healing as the Beloved
- Daring as the Beloved
- Shining as the Beloved
Within each section are six to seven individual chapters (you will read one per day for 40 days) focused on that specific topic. The chapters follow the same format and can be completed all at once or over time for those who would rather work at a slower pace.
It’s Like a Well-Balanced Meal for the Soul
Each day in Whispers of Rest is like a well-balanced meal for the soul. By the time you finish 40 days, you will have dropped a few pounds of emotional baggage, toned your faith muscles, and even your friends will notice you’ve had a countenance lift. Stick with the program, and you will experience the most incredible result of all: a more intimate walk with the Lord.
- Each day’s reading begins with a brief passage of Scripture followed by an inspirational quote and a brief introduction to that day’s theme.
- Next, you will “Read God’s Story” in your Bible (or Bible app) as well as a personal reflection on the passage.
- After reflecting on the passage, you will slow down and listen to “God’s Whispers to You” based on His Word.
- “A Prayer for Today” offers both Scripture and a short prayer as you begin to apply what you’ve studied.
- Then, it’s time to “Reflect on Your Story.” This is when you grab your journal and answer a few questions to help you examine your heart and take practical steps to make any necessary changes in your behavior or attitude.
- Following this time of reflection, you will “Pray and Rest” as you practice a spiritual discipline which is described in detail for you. I love this, because Whispers of Rest exposes the reader to a variety of disciplines which have been practiced by Christians for centuries. Practicing spiritual disciplines such as the One Word Prayer, Self-Examen, Lectio Divina, Meditation, etc. intentionally makes space for God to transform our hearts and our lives.
- Each day ends with a “challenge” and an opportunity to do some soul care which could be journaling, a nature walk, coloring a picture, or something else.
We’re invited to come to him weary—whether confused, numb, anxious, angry, or stressed. Jesus tells us to simply come. Imperfectly his. As we are.”
BONUS RESOURCES: When you sign-up for Bonnie’s newsletter (here), you will have access to a number of FREE resources including videos, journaling pages, and coloring pages. ?❤️?️
Bonnie Gray is a prolific author whose writing is featured in Relevant Magazine, DaySpring (in)courage, and Christianity Today. She is a popular speaker and retreat leader who touches lives through storytelling, visual arts, nature, prayer, and Christ-centered meditation.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”